Recipes

whole wheat chocolate oat cookies

Because I am happiest when I let cakes be cakes, and cookies be cookies in all of their real-butter-and-refined sugar bliss, I rarely swap whole wheat or other ingredients in desserts in an effort to put a health halo on them, with two exceptions. The first is morning baked goods, usually muffins like these I’d make for the kids on a weekday, which just feel more breakfast when they least resemble, say, a birthday cake, not that there aren’t days that require that, too. The second is when I think the baked good is improved by the ingredient swap — more crisp/craggy, dynamic or flavorful. I just never expected it to happen to what we call our House Cookie — a one-bowl oatmeal cookie I’ve probably made many times a year for well over a decade, always putting extra scoops in the freezer, so we can have freshly baked cookies when life demands them.

what you'll needwhip butter, sugars, saltadd the flour, oats, chocolatethick doughscoopedbaked

But when, like most of us, I ran low on white flour in April, I used whole wheat instead and discovered that the recipe wasn’t just as good as it was with white flour, but better. Crunchier, more flavorful, and even nuanced. From there, I swapped in a little raw sugar. I bumped up the salt a little. I added a little extra cragginess, sometimes with wheat germ or bran, and at other times with finely-chopped walnuts. A little baking powder gives them an almost Levain-like height at larger sizes, if you rest the dough a bit. Don’t worry, they’re still a treat — butter, lots of dark chocolate chunks or chips, and we like them on the big side, in 3-tablespoon scoops, for the most varied and interesting texture. And even though regular flour is back at regular prices on all of the shelves, they’re so much better like this, I haven’t gone back to making them the old way and I bet you won’t either.

whole wheat oat chocolate cookies
whole wheat oat chocolate cookies

* Did anyone else read this Atlantic article about flour shortages this spring? I was so surprised to learn that wheat supplies weren’t the issue (as more flour went into homes, less went to restaurants) but the paper bags grocery-sized flour is packed in.

Previously

6 months ago: Ultimate Banana Bread
1 year ago: Cinnamon Sugar Scones
2 years ago: Breakfast Burritos
3 years ago: Marbled Banana Bread
4 years ago: Piri Piri Chicken and Chocolate Pavlova
5 years ago: Oat and Wheat Sandwich Bread
6 years ago: Cauliflower Slaw, Cucumber Lemonade, and Sunken Apple and Honey Cake
7 years ago: Fudgy Chocolate Sheet Cake and Frico Grilled Cheese Sandwich
8 years ago: Roasted Apple Spice Sheet Cake and Homemade Wheat Thins
9 years ago: Roasted Tomato Soup with Broiled Cheddar and Apple and Honey Challah
10 years ago: Monkey Cake and Beef Chili + Sour Cream and Cheddar Biscuits
11 years ago: Grilled Lamb Kebabs + Tzatziki and Snickerdoodles
12 years ago: Spinach Quiche, Bread Without A Timetable and Black-and-White Cookies
13 years ago: Tortilla de Patatas and Chocolate Babka
14 years ago: Orange Chocolate Chunk Cake

Whole Wheat Oat Chocolate Cookies

• Servings: 12 3-inch cookies
  • Source: Smitten Kitchen

This makes just a small batch, perfect for our weekday needs. I promise you will not regret it if you make double. I like these cookies best with old-fashioned rolled oats, the heartier, the better texture. [I’m using Bob’s Red Mill here.] I’ve made these before with medium rye flour, instead of whole wheat, and they were delicious. I make these with a leveled 3-tablespoon scoop, this one. Baked right after you mix it, the cookies can can spread to about 3.25 to 3.5″; after chilling in the fridge, even just a couple hours, they stay more heaped when they bake, spreading only to 3″. If you don’t have raw sugar, just use more brown sugar.

• 4 tablespoons (50 grams) raw or turbinado sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark (95 grams) light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (115 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature for a hand-mixer; cold is fine for a stand-mixer
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup (95 grams) whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup (25 grams) wheat germ, wheat bran, oat bran, or a finely chopped nut of your choice (I like walnuts)
  • 1 1/2 cups (120 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips, or semisweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
  • Flaky sea salt, if you wish

Heat oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat sugars, butter (if cold, in chunks), and salt together until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat until mixed. Sprinkle baking powder and baking soda over batter and beat until very well-combined, then a few more times around the bowl. Scrape bowl down. Add flour, wheat germ, oats, and chocolate and mix just until the flour disappears.

Arrange 3-tablespoon mounds of cookies 3 inches apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle each with a couple flakes of sea salt. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Cookies will be golden brown all over. Remove from oven and let set up on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Extra dough will keep in fridge for 3 days, and longer in the freezer. I like to scoop then freeze it on a tray; once solid, I’ll pack them tightly in a freezer bag. You can bake them directly from the freezer; it usually only takes 1 to 2 minutes longer. Cookies baked from cold will spread less.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

New here? You might want to check out the comment guidelines before chiming in.

267 comments on whole wheat chocolate oat cookies

1. sallyt

These look awesome! I just made chewy chocolate chip cookies from Sarah Kieffer’s 100 cookies book and they were great.

I think you meant a recipe link to this phrase – “usually muffins like these”?

1. Juliet

I have made the original of these dozens of times for a week day treat and obviously adored them. I’m intrigued to try this new take and delighted that you recommend making them big. In the original you said you made loads from batch, but I never could make them as small as you recommended and always felt slightly piggy. I think there’s so much more interesting texture in a larger cookie. Thank you for everything you do!

1. deb

I was looking at that yield and it’s true, I always liked 1-1.5T cookies and now I don’t want anyone to ask me for a second cookie or feel that they’ve been insufficiently allotted so I’ve caved to the medium-large cookie. Texturally, it’s more interesting too.

1. Robin

Just made these for my learning-from-home teens. Delicious! They didn’t mind that they are relatively health. Only issue was they took much longer to cook to get brown – close to 20 minutes. Oven temp was right. I used ground almonds for the bran since it was all I had but otherwise made recipe as written. Any thoughts on why it took so long?

1. Lauren

These are SO good! My family is eating them warm from the oven as I write this. I asked my 6yo “are these delicious or extremely delicious” and he enthusiastically voted extremely delicious! I made them as written with wheat germ and baked from cold at 325 with convection. Wish I had doubled the recipe, but now I’ll make again ASAP with pecans. And hide them away!

2. Mary Garth

I love that the “5 years ago” recipe gives me another use for the whole wheat flour and oats I will surely buy this weekend to make these cookies! Cool how that worked out. These cookies look amazing.

3. LitProf

Deb, you goddess, I have Bob’s Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats in the pantry and have been wondering if I could bake with it successfully. Thank you!

4. Ellen

So nice to see oatmeal cookies on yor site today! I make a version of these cookies for high stress times. We live in Santa Rosa, CA and these cookies, with a big mug of ginger tea, are the perfect de-stresser during fire season.

5. Sarah M

Can’t wait to try these! They remind me a bit of the big, whole wheat chocolate chip cookies from Kim Boyce’s Good to the Grain which are also just better with whole wheat flour– nuttier, more interesting. Can’t believe I didn’t think to swap whole wheat flour elsewhere!

1. Elly

Then choose a different recipe? I’m curious what you were looking for when you made that comment.

These look delicious to me! Thanks, for sharing them with us, Deb! In fact, they so include everything I love most in a baked good (hearty texture and density, plenty of butter, whole grains, something a little crunchy and nutty, chocolate) that I may make them for my birthday.

1. Claire

I cannot wait to make these as written. They look perfect. I have a bag of spelt flour….any chance that would work? Have you used spelt flour in anything? Just curious as it’s an usual ingredient I have just waiting to be purposed.

1. C

Hi Claire,
          Spelt flour is a pretty low-stakes substitute for wheat flour, I’d encourage you to start trying swapping out part of the flour in your baking with it! I’m sure it will work here too. Have fun.

2. deb

I have used spelt flour but not in cookies. I think…. it should work here? Wow, not very confident. But this cookie is mostly oats with some flour as binder vs. most oat cookies which are a lot more flour with a smaller amount of oats. If anything, it should be more forgiving.

1. Zahava Bogner

I made these with whole grain spelt flour and they were spectacular.

FWIW, a NY times article on flours indicates that at least in terms of protein content, that whole grain spelt is the closed match for whole wheat flour.

I added in a half cup of raisins and didn’t have large eggs, so I used one medium egg + a yolk. I also added in a tsp of finely ground Vietnamese cinnamon.

My family demolished the batch and proclaimed them their new favorite cookies.

I just mixed a new batch — am going to freeze pre-meted out in cupcake liners so that I can bake one or two whenever the mood hits.

2. Eli

If you read the recipe you would see it makes very large cookies as written. Makes closer to two dozen with a regular cookie scoop. So they have exactly as much butter as a typical cookie recipe (two sticks, four dozen yield).

1. Laura

I will let Deb give the final word, but I would think that might mess up the texture because chia seeds absorb so much liquid.

1. Lauren

I used whole wheat pastry flour and baked from cold after stashing the dough overnight in the fridge. They came out absolutely delicious but mine hardly spread at all. They were not at all flat, so perhaps refrigerate the dough (or not) depending on your preference.

6. Christina

Here, let me casually cite this article in which I am quoted! Hahaha, you’re too much!!

But that info is so interesting – I had thankfully bought my 50 lbs of flour last December. I’m only now getting to the end of it, and very sad to find that it’s gong to be five pound bags for the forseeable future… anyway, thanks for the recipe – these look delicious!

7. These look so delicious. I really loved your ice cream sandwich cookies so I’ll definitely try these. I think I’ll add hazelnuts – I like them better than walnuts.

Do you think that these cookies can be used for ice cream sandwich as well?

Hi all the way from Denmark :-)

8. Francoise

Any food scientist types who might be able to give a guesstimate as the amount of carbs/sugars per cookie (baking for a diabetic family member)? They seem like they’d be lower than a traditional oatmeal cookie due to whole wheat sub and reduced amount of flour overall, especially if I go with the 1/4 c nut variation. Thanks!

1. deb

I wouldn’t add it, but I’d swap it in for some of the oats or wheat germ by weight. If you just add it, the cookies will get too dry. I didn’t test this with coconut oil. I think it would work; it might spread just a little more.

1. Julie

These are amazing! Dare I say… the perfect oatmeal chocolate chip cookie?

I made them as written but used half dark chocolate covered raisins and half chopped dark chocolate. I tried them without the chocolate covered raisins too but my husband and I both preferred them with. I didn’t chill before cooking and they were totally fine. I’m very happy to have my fridge stocked with this dough!!

1. deb

I think it could. I’m trying to think of the weight (offhand, because why shouldn’t I keep this info in my head) but if it’s on the heavier side, you could just use 3T instead of 4T.

9. carol

Saw this recipe this morning and made them about 5 minutes later. I already have a great tasting oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, but they really flatten out to nothing, even if I refrigerate the dough to the point that it’s hard to scoop out. So I made this, but added 1 tsp cinnamon and a heaping 1/8 tsp nutmeg to this recipe (which is what I like so much about the other recipe.) So good! Thanks Deb!

10. Stephanie

Saw this recipe come up this afternoon and made it this evening. Absolutely delicious Deb! I used rye flour, flaxseed meal, and all brown sugar. They turned out perfect.

11. teegan

I’m one of those weirdos who doesn’t buy all-purpose flour. Pastry flour, 00 “pizza” flour, rye flour, wheat flour, but never all-purpose for most of my decade plus of adult baking. When I do try to use all-purpose for pie crust or bread as a “treat,” I find it flat and dull! So I’m glad to know that my love for making these cookies (and others) with wheat and rye is legit.

12. Elke

What perfect timing! I was looking for a quick baking project for tonight, and here it was. Delicious, crunchy, yet light. Might take a little less chocolate next time, but that is of course by personal preference.

13. Lola

These make a great cookie! I used all brown sugar, walnuts instead of wheat germ/bran, added the flaky salt to the top, and refrigerated for only about 30 minutes before baking. They were a flatter cookie with the shorter refrigeration time (as you said they would be). Time permitting, I’ll refrigerate a bit longer next time. Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

14. I immediately made these this afternoon; didn’t have wheat germ, so I used ground hazelnuts. Put the dough in the fridge to bake after dinner, and they came out flat as a pancake, basically lace cookies. That’s weird, I thought, they were supposed to spread *less*. It wasn’t until the kid had one at bedtime and said, “These are good, what’s in them?” and I answered “chocolate chips, hazelnuts, and… OH NO” that I realized I had left out the oatmeal. 🤦‍♀️

(For the record, they make very good lace cookies.)

15. V

There was a bakery/deli in California called Specialty’s that had a cookie almost just like this – it was a pandemic casualty but now I have a way to scratch that itch!

1. araminty

I’m so sad about Specialty’s, mostly because of the cookie. I’ve tried and tried to reverse engineer the recipe, so I’m looking forward to trying Deb’s! One distinction that the Specialty’s cookie had was mini choc chips, not an ingredient I’d usually reach for, but it seemed to ensure widespread chocolatey-ness. And did it have cinnamon? Hmm.

1. Missy

I loved those Specialty’s cookies too! Did they have shredded coconut in them? I wonder how this might change the texture of Deb’s recipe. Eager to make these this weekend.

16. I love the look of this biscuit and what a great idea to keep some in the freezer, for baking on demand. This is such a clever post, thanks for some great ideas. Take care, Pauline

17. TKG

Just made and tasted, and they are all I want in a chocolate chip cookie – chocolate and chewy and utterly delicious – with the added benefit of some ingredients that make me feel justified in making them far more often. Win-win!

18. Kate

I’ve started using at least half whole wheat flour in my zucchini bread and found that it a more complex taste and better texture. Very interesting about the flour bags. There seems to be a canning lid shortage now. I now more people are canning, but I couldn’t find lids even through my Amish and Mennonite sources. I ended up freezing foods instead of canning.

19. Lorraine

Deb, I’d love to male these but I’ve de eloped lactose intolerance ): Any idea of whether I could possibly substitute something for butter (coconut oil?). Thanks!

1. Jean

Lorraine, my daughter in law has lactose intolerance. When she visited this summer we successfully used a plant butter in baking recipes. I found an unused stick of it in the fridge this weekend and used it (along with a stick of dairy butter) when I doubled this recipe. The cookies turned out great.

2. Mary

Yes to oil working! I made these vegan with a flax egg and using 1/2 c canola oil instead of the butter, and they baked up fine and tasty. The dough was a little crumbly and I had to pack the dough balls together with my hands. I worried the cookies would spread or fall apart but nope, they baked up just right, indistinguishable from a non-vegan cookie.

Just based on my own past experience baking with coconut oil I’d stick with an oil that’s liquid at room temp.

1. Erin

Yesterday, I made these with coconut oil for my dairy-allergic MIL, and they worked perfectly. No weird texture after they were baked although they were a little crumbly when I was forming them.

20. Leah

What do you think substituting some almond flour to the wheat flour would affect the cookies? I’ve been trying to increase the protein content of my sweet baked goods as per doctor’s orders to eat some protein with the carbs in my diet. Tried substituting 1/4 cup almond flour on your honey cake recipe and it was a success. The texture was still soft and moist.

1. Alexis

I used almond flour as substitution for the wheat germ/walnuts and it was delicious (kept the original amount of flour however)

21. Casey

These look wondrous! Two questions:
    1. If one (hypothetically) wanted to make these cookies today without a grocery order and didn’t have bran/nuts/etc., would one sub 1/4 cup additional oats? Or more flour? Skip entirely?
    2. Are these roughly similar to (but smaller than) your magical giant oatmeal chocolate chip / raisin cookies in SKED, but with whole wheat? Those have become my household cookie, but I do all chocolate and no raisins.

1. deb

1. Yes, I suppose you could, but it might be nice if they were chopped a little. Dried coconut, oat bran, even quinoa flakes could work too.
      2. Similar but these are a bit taller and more craggy.

22. Tamsin

These were great, just what you need for an autumn treat. I added finely chopped candied ginger to half the batch which was, IMHO, pretty awesome.

23. Katie

Great timing! I found some amazing chocolate covered raisins and, rather that eating them ALL, decided to use some in oatmeal cookies. I’m going to use this recipe, replacing raisins and chocolate chips with the chocolate covered raisins (I’ll probably add chopped walnuts too). Thank you!

24. Debra

Made these exactly as written (using wheat germ), except the largest cookie scoop I have is a #24, so I got 16 cookies out of the batch. Scooped then chilled in fridge for about 15 minutes just to hydrate the flour a bit. Baked for the full 14 minutes as they looked a tad too light and underdone in the middle at 12 minutes. They are absolutely delicious in every way! Nutty, craggy, chocolatey goodness. These most definitely will be my new go-to oatmeal chocolate chip cookie!

25. Natalie

Saw this posted this morning and had to make them before going to work — looked like my dream cookie. They’re amazing, totally worth the rushed bike commute!
    I used a mix of rye, WW bread, and AP flour, as that’s what I had on hand. And I used both wheat bran and tossed some chopped wallies and a bit of ground flax in. Also, I just used white sugar (though it is that Whole Foods “natural” white sugar, that’s a bit courser and more caramel colored than the standard granulated stuff). Chilled for 10 mins before baking and didn’t have any trouble with spreading (maybe the higher protein bread flour helped with this?).
    Would recommend!! Thanks Deb!

1. deb

Yes, I would use them both. But while this is not a muffiny, puffy cookie, it’s not a flat one either. It’s not the goal of this recipe at all.

26. Nikki

Yum! A local bakery here in Chicago makes a totally delicious Spelt Chocolate Chip cookie that I imagine is similar to this. Can’t wait to whip these up :)

27. olivia

These look amazing I’m so excited! I have 2 questions: Can you use almond flour instead of finely chopped nuts or is that too fine? Do you think buckwheat flour can work instead of whole wheat ? Thanks in advance!

28. Sujatha

Plan on making today or tomorrow, would love to try adding unsweetened coconut flakes I have in pantry.
    Any idea on amount/proportion to add and would I have to swap out part of another ingredient?
    Thanks Deb for all you do!!!

29. J

These came out amazing. Handed the recipe to my 11yo and he did it with no supervision. I love how you write recipes so that anyone can do it, and I always feel that confidence with your site.

Have you considered a kids cookbook for your next venture? I can’t tell you how many I own and almost none are worth owning. You could write real recipes, not fancy ways of doctoring up premade, prepackaged foods. Recipes like these cookies would be fantastic!

30. Keilexandra

I made these this morning — left out the germ/bran/nuts because I didn’t have any, and subbed quick oats for old fashioned because I’m a heathen who only eats instant oatmeal. It didn’t spread as much as expected in the oven (I also made smaller hand-shaped scoops) but turned out delicious even with my generous recipe interpretation.

31. Lee

I can’t wait to try this. I will have to swap the chocolate out for either white chocolate or butterscotch due to allergies (leaning toward butterscotch) Anyone else buying extra flour in case there is another shortage?

32. Emilie Nichols

These are wonderful cookies! I substituted buckwheat for the wheat germ because I had it. I used a #40 scoop (1 1/2 Tablespoons) which produced 23 cookies. I refrigerated the dough for about 1 1/2 hours and baked the cookies for 14 minutes. The real test will be Sunday when my sons come for dinner!

33. C

These are great, thank you so much. Used chopped walnuts instead of wheat bran, and scooped and chilled the cookies overnight before baking them in the morning (was just too tired last night). I’ll make them again for sure! Might play with different flours, adding seeds, etc. Thank you thank you.

1. C

Oh, also meant to say: I just mixed the (very soft) butter and sugars by hand, as I didn’t want to use an electrical contraption last night. Started with a wooden spoon but then just mixed everything with my hand, which worked just fine.

34. Clermont Ripley

These are delicious!!! My 3 year old son and I made them this afternoon. While they were cooling I bribed him and my 6 year old daughter to clean up their toys so they could have a cookie. My daughter walked into the kitchen and burst into tears. “Not oatmeal” she wailed. Now she is licking her plate and begging for more. Thanks for another winner, Deb.

35. Cindy Cooksey

I tried this today. I was in the mood to bake cookies anyway. Whole Wheat Chocolate Oat Cookies are delicious! A new favorite. What I did differently: I didn’t have wheat germ or wheat bran, but I did have red quinoa, which I had previously used in a cracker recipe. It adds an interesting texture, and I recommend it. These cookies are really good! Thanks for the recipe.

36. Erin

As I always do when making “normal” chocolate chip cookies, I cut the sugar exactly in half. We just don’t like the higher sweetness level and the chocolate chips compensate anyway. (Tip: DO NOT try this with snickerdoodles! Does not work, lol.)
    These are fantastic, and will probably replace the traditional ones forever for me. Thanks as always for a perfect recipe!

37. Anna

This was absolutely delicious! My husband took a bite and asked if they were the Levain recipe (I think the chopped up walnuts really does the trick). I used quick oats, because that’s all I had on hand, and I really liked the texture. Sometimes oats overwhelm a cookie, but not in this recipe. I also used salted butter (all I had on hand) and the recommended amount of salt, which resulted in a pleasantly salty cookie. Highly recommend!

38. Laura Jane

These are lovely! Quick to make. They don’t at all feel like “ugh, who tried to make my cookie inappropriately healthy with whole wheat”– they just taste rich and delicious. I didn’t have walnuts but did have pecans and am not at all disappointed. My husband who has decidedly less of a sweet tooth than I do ate three of them the evening I baked them, and given that they are quite hearty, I’d say that’s a ringing endorsement.

39. Alex

Some of the best cookies I’ve ever made! I used ground flax instead of wheat germ and it seemed to work! Thank you so much for this recipe, will definitely be making it again!

40. Sara

YES! I’ve been making Molly Wizenberg’s whole wheat chocolate chip cookies for years now! And yes, it’s not just a fine swap it’s BETTER. :) Can’t wait to try this way – I looooove oats in my cookies, but not so much raisins lol. :)

41. Anna K

I loved these. My 3yo helped make them. I only had chocolate with 85% cocoa solids so I used that. I do not own a cookie scoop so I used a heaped tablespoon for each cookie and baked them for 9 minutes. They’re ideal, I can’t stand sweet cookies and these are satisfying and complex and will be on regular rotation. Thanks again, Deb.

42. Elizabeth

Since the daughter who won’t touch oats or raisins is now in college, I made your original thick and chewy version last week and they were AMAZING! I used a mix of golden and black raisins and plumped them in hot water first for maximum moisture retention, then sent half the batch to my other daughter and shared the rest with my mom. (Oat and raisin lovers, unite!!) Can’t wait to try these!!

43. Sue Malone

Just made them. Added raisins (1 c) and did not use chocolate. Used chopped walnuts. These did not spread very much. Very yummy. Like others, I will experiment with this recipe. Probably craisins next!

44. Melissa

Delicious as usual! I almost always make your recipe exactly as written but I couldn’t figure out any reason this shouldn’t have crunchy PB in it so I added 3Tbs. Took about 3 more min to cook and were fantastic!

45. Monica Kenney

These were everything I was looking for! I actually gasped quietly to myself when I logged on to your site and saw this recipe. Thoughts on substituting coconut oil for butter?

Also just a note of thanks for your fortitude in the kitchen to experiment with baking quanties.

46. Cle

How do you get your cookies to stay so domed and thick? Mine spread waaaaaaay out in the oven and are thin. Could I avoid this if I chilled the dough first?

1. Cle

Of course I just looked back at the recipe and it does talk about chilling the dough! I should have read the comment at the beginning of the recipe. Sorry about that!

1. Sunsprout

I missed that comment, too. Left with a terrible mess in the oven. I would suggest adding the time in the fridge into the recipe itself for those of us carefully following the steps.

2. deb

The cookies shouldn’t spread thin. The photos you see here are a mix of cookies that rested an hour in the fridge and those that were baked right away and none are flat. Did you use old-fashioned oats and wheat germ or the like for the last 1/4 cup? In most cases, a thin spread on cookies is insufficient dry ingredients.

47. Darlene

I don’t have a cookie scoop and was forced to make balls with my hands because the dough is way too dry to drop. Even so, the last few cookies were just piles of crumbs. Baked cookies still warm are very dry, almost sandy to eat. I hope they improve with more cooling. Been over the recipe several more times to see if I left anything out or measured incorrectly or didn’t mix properly, but no. At this point, it’s not a recipe I’d make again. Sorry, Deb. Not my best result.

48. AMS

These are delicious! They have a slightly sandy texture (presumably from the turbinado sugar?), but it is pleasant. I used wheat germ (left over from a foray into making digestive biscuits), and my only tweak was to add 1/4 c. chopped dried cherries, as I only had 3/4 c. of bittersweet chocolate chips – YUM! I refrigerated for 2 hours before baking and they barely spread at all.

Curiosity question open to anyone :) the recipe calls for 4 Tbsp turbinado sugar, which my measurement conversion chart says is the same as 1/4 cup. Is there a reason that Tbsp measurements are preferred rather than equivalent cup measurements?

1. deb

That’s a very good question and you’re right, it would make more sense as 1/4 cup. I think it’s a holdover because I was nudging the turbinado sugar from 3T to 4T while testing.

49. Alexandra

It’s as if you’re reading my mind! I guess I’m just one of *those people* who is always adding whole wheat flour to things. But, I honestly think it just makes things taste better. We make your confetti cookies (probably way too often) and I always make them with at least half whole grain flour. It just makes them taste more complex, I use sprouted spelt or sprouted white wheat. One of these days I’m going to get the nerve to make them with 100% ww.
    I knew I had to make these because I’m also loving oat bran lately. They were delicious! Chewy but soft and crisp at the edges. Personally, I’ll add less chocolate next time, but I’m the odd person who isn’t crazy about chocolate.

50. Anna

Loved these!! Used all brown sugar and wheat bran options; they did not spread very much at all which made me nervous but they are delicious and much more satisfying than the old standard or my other whole wheat chocolate chip go-to.

51. Barbara

I’ve been using all whole-wheat or partially whole-wheat flour in my baked goods since the 1970s. Initially it was for the “health” benefits. But, I prefer the richer flavor and texture. I just made cookies for my neighbors a few days ago and the recipe is essentially this.
    By the way, I love Smitten Kitchen. I cook and bake so many of your recipes.

52. Chris C

Just out of the oven and tried one. Your oatmeal raisin house cookie has been made almost every week at our house. These are just as good but more texture. My husband likes them more. Thank you.

53. Kate

Due to breastfeeding a baby with sensitivities, I had to make a couple substitutions. I used sunflower oil (by volume not weight as it seemed like it’d be too much by weight) instead of butter and Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Flour (by weight) instead of whole wheat flour…and they turned out amazing! Perhaps my favorite cookie ever, especially with the flaky salt, which is saying a lot because I make Deb’s chocolate peanut butter cookies not infrequently. Can’t wait until I can try the version as written too, but meanwhile I’m extremely happy! Another win!

1. Susan

Thanks, Kate!
          I had seen varying theories on oil/butter switches online (suggesting using less oil than a recipe’s stated butter amount), so good to know an equal switch works.

54. Mariah

Made these today, and I CAN NOT get over how good they are. The flavor is so good. I always like hearing people’s substitutions just in case so thought I’d mention that I used white all-purpose flour and pecans since that’s what was on hand. I look forward to making them next time with whole wheat. Thanks for another awesome recipe, Deb!

1. Cris S.

Hi Mariah – I really appreciated your comment as all I have is all-purpose flour. I was wondering if I should just skip making these until later and was skimming the comments to see if anyone would post their experience. Thank you!

1. deb

I didn’t put it in this version; I wanted the butter/oats/wheat/vanilla/salt to come through more. But you could definitely add some for a softer scent.

55. Jane

These have the perfect texture and flavor I look for in an oatmeal cookie. I didn’t have any bran or nuts, and am generally wary of whole wheat cookies, so I used 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup white flour. I had mini chocolate chips which puts chocolate in every bite!

56. Eliza

Unfortunately despite all the sugar and spices these still kinda tasted like I was eating uncooked raw oatmeal. Would recommend toning down the proportion of oats or trying another of the many excellent chocolate chip cookies on the site. On the plus side, they did not taste like whole wheat cookies so you def don’t miss the white flour!

57. Katie

I made these with spelt flour and they’re really great! Also used Demerara sugar instead of turbinado (I’m in the UK and haven’t ever seen that here) and went with Deb’s suggestion of finely chopped walnuts. The result was some very, very good cookies – thank you Deb for these and for sharing all your recipes, writing and culinary talents. Your blog is my favourite food writing :)

58. Meredith

I made these, with finely chopped walnuts and some additional Thompson raisins. I was impatient, so I microwaved one of the dough balls for 45 seconds in a small glass ramkin when I put the rest to chill. It is delicious. Highly recommend. Not cookie like, but really good.

59. Jennifer

My husband is a cookie junkie, and so I made these today. He loved the texture of these cookies, and asked me to make them a permanent part of the cookie rotation. I didn’t have wheat germ, and so I used 1/4 cup of Bob’s Red Mill 10 Grain Hot Cereal Mix. Thank you!

60. CiCi

Made these with a combination of whole wheat and rye flour. Used walnuts because that’s what I had on hand. Texture is wonderful. Yielded 18, so probably mine were smaller (still took about 15 min to bake). Did not spread a lot, maybe because I refrigerated for a few hours. Definitely making this recipe part of my regular cookie rotation.

61. Nancy

I made these last night using all dark brown sugar, white whole wheat flour, and almond flour in lieu of wheat germ, with no refrigeration. The whole family loved them! Just the right combo of crispy exterior and chewy interior.

62. These look wonderful. I typically make the oat cookies from the Tartine baking book (the second one) and they’re great, but these look like they have quite a bit more texture. Will be trying this weekend.

63. Amy

Your oatmeal cookies are probably my most regularly made cookie, so I was excited to see the difference! I made these with pumpkin and flax seeds, dried cherries, pecans, and a mix of milk and dark chocolate and they are AMAZING. There’s nothing unpleasantly whole-wheat-y about them, but they are delightfully cosy and autumnal. And with the larger size and added height they feel about as trendy as a cookie could be.

64. Ruth

I made these and wow. I love the crunch and crispness of the cookie made possible by the amazing amount of oats. The nominal amount of whole wheat flour is just enough to hold the cookie together. I used really good large, dark chocolate chips and they made this cookie even more delicious. My husband, who generally shies away from sweets even raved about them. I recommend these cookies for anyone who eats cookies! Make them! Today! You’ll regret nothing.

65. da

I almost always double a cookie recipe so that I can freeze some for later for us or use as a small gift for a friend. I’m certainly glad I doubled this one! It is a lighter than expected oatmeal cookie, yet still substantial. I used minced toasted pecans and the flavor was sublime! Thanks, Deb. This one is a keeper!

66. Larissa

I’m a long time fan of all recipes SK and rarely comment, but I hopped on making these this weekend and have to say they are my new favourite cookie!! I replaced the wheat germ with Hemp Hearts and Flax Meal (1/2 and 1/2).

67. So I made these but omitted the nuts (my husband is allergic, and we didn’t have wheat germ) and they flattened all the way out. What should I sub in next time to prevent this? The butter was cold but the dough wasn’t chilled.

1. deb

You will want to replace the volume with something else — you could use a seed or perhaps another 1/4 cup oats; slightly ground or quick oats would be fine there.

68. Louisa

Made these over the weekend. These were irresistible fresh from the oven and are still delicious a couple of days later. I was low on rolled oats, so I subbed in about half instant ones to pad it out, but otherwise made them basically as written with chopped walnuts and semi-sweet chocolate chips. The flavors and textures are lovely – a nice craggy, robust oatmeal chocolate chip cookie that doesn’t feel overly sweet. I love that the turbinado sugar didn’t totally dissolve and gives them a little crunch. I did end up having to cook them for around 16 minutes to get them browned, (and “browned” was relative since they started out darker with the whole wheat flour and brown sugar). Even then they still looked underdone in a few places (maybe melted sugar spots?), but cooled to perfection – a tiny bit crispy at the edges and still moist and chewy throughout. I also scooped and froze half the batter so I’ll be able to report back at some point on how baking them off from the freezer goes.

69. Joanne

Amazing! Just made these after lunch for an afternoon snack. Easy and quick to pull together. I used the wheat germ option. I will definitely make these again!

70. Katie

Yum! Made this with raisins instead of chocolate chips (less than the amount called for), chopped walnuts and about a tablesppon of ground flax instead of wheat germ. Hearty and delicious but they didn’t spread at all, giving a pretty round/blobby cookie. I suspect either the lack of melting chocolate or the extra binding power of the flax is to blame (or both, anyone care to theorize?), but their accidental chunky blob shape meant they didn’t break into pieces after a day hike in a backpack. Will make again with chocolate for sure.

71. PK

So very good! I used flax instead of wheat germ and it just blended right in. I refrigerated for 3 hours and they ended up perfect. They are SO easy to make; will definitely become a regular recipe.

72. Juliana

I think I have a new favorite cookie recipe. Forever it’s been my Nana’s oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. In fact they are similar to these…only these are better! I made batch #1 yesterday and batches #2 and 3 this evening!

73. robin

made these yesterday.. . they are delicious… Thank you for an easy recipe that didn’t require too many “special” ingredients!! Hope to see more like this!

74. Heather

Wow, these are amazing cookies!! I used Anson Mills graham flour, a mix of pecans and walnuts, and three different kinds of chocolate. I also refrigerated the dough for an hour before baking and they still quite spread a lot. So tasty!

75. Rekkie

This is the best oatmeal cookie recipe ever! I have made these twice now and once I get more oats I will make them again. I live at 5,000 ft. above sea level so I made some small modifications after the first batch came out a little dry (still delicious and not the recipe’s fault). I added a tablespoon of water to the wet mix, did one less tablespoon of sugar, and baked at 400 degrees F . I used finely chopped walnuts instead of bran, omitted the chocolate (I know! I just don’t like chocolate chunks) and added coarsely chopped walnuts. I’m thinking I may add half a banana to the next batch for some extra moisture instead of water.

1. StephanieR

I’m at around 5,000 feet too and I had really good luck adding a tablespoon of heavy cream after starting to mix in the dry ingredients by hand. LOVED these cookies — they’re a new favorite for sure!

76. FizzyBlonde

These are excellent, and owing to their extremely healthful ingredients (oats, whole wheat flour, walnuts), I consider them Breakfast Cookies. And in that same vein of health, I made them half the size Deb recommends, which leads to eating two. I got 23 his way and they took about 14 minutes in the oven.

77. Abby

I made these today and they are EXCEPTIONAL – so easy and delicious. I used ground flax instead of wheat germ because that’s what I had in the cabinet and it worked great.

78. Anna

OKAY these cookies are awesome. I followed pretty closely except had no bran/walnuts so I used ground flax seeds and it was delicious and totally worked. Highly highly recommend. Dare I say… better than Levain?

79. SuperM

Made these (subbing ground nuts for the wheat germ because I was too lazy to go downstairs to get it) and they were fabulous! Even my oat cookie resistant 14 year old loved them.

I think my college age kids would too, so I’m wondering if you have any thoughts on how well they’d ship, if I should bake longer for a slightly sturdier cookie, or anything else shipping relevant.

80. Jo Rogers

Can I ask what you regard as whole wheat? Is it white flour or wholemeal (brown) I am in Australia and whole wheat isn’t a thing

1. Erica

I went out on a limb and made a triple recipe and pressed it into a half sheet pan. I saved back some chocolate chips to sprinkle on top for curb appeal. I baked at 350 for about 18 minutes. 10/10 would recommend. Way faster than making cookies for a bunch of people!

81. Kimberly

These were excellent! The only “change” I made was a trick I learned about bran flakes. I soaked the bran and some ground flaxseed meal in a tiny bit of milk to soften before adding it to the butter-sugar mixture. Soaking the bran helps create a more tender texture in the end product, which works great for muffins and pancakes too. I also used a mixture of old fashioned and quick oats because that’s what I had, and the texture was great. This is my new go-to chocolate chip cookie!

82. These are yummy! The visiting kids all asked for seconds, and one of the dads said he ate about five after dinner!

I used the wheat bran option and salted butter with less salt added later. Other than that, I followed it as written. They seemed to spread a lot despite refrigerating the dough for an hour and a half. Thankfully they were not total puddles/lace, but the cookie part is thinner than the chocolate chips are. Maybe the batter needed more time in the fridge. The butter was almost totally liquid at the temperature my kitchen gets up to with the AC off while I’m at work all day, and the eggs were the only ingredients not similarly warm, so it would make sense.

I made double so there’s still some dough left; I will try freezing the it in balls and baking that directly, or else adding a little more flour. I went by weight for all the non-spoon-sized ingredients, so presumably the proportions were right! Again, very yummy, just a bit thin!

83. Shoshannah

Deb thanks for another superb recipe. These cookies are wonderful. I toasted some hemp hearts, in place of the wheat germ ( I had it on hand) and the cookies are so good even the current news cycle seems a bit less grim.

84. Hilary

OMG! I made these over the weekend for a friend who is about to give birth and they were ah-mazing. (It didn’t hurt that the chocolate chips were still warm and melty when we ate them.) Five star! My only issue was that they seemed to bake unevenly (this could be my oven) and I wasn’t 100% sure when they were done. The instructions to wait for them to be golden brown all over weren’t that helpful. But I can’t recommend them highly enough. They are sorta healthy too!

85. Mary Jo

I made these for the contractors removing dry rot from the outside of our house. Decreased the size so that they would be “Bite Size”. They were greatly enjoyed. The contractors loved them. Thank you.

86. Sarah V

This is the first time I have commented on your recipes, though I have made several over the years. This cookie seemed like the perfect time to change that because it is perfection! (And easily “veganizable”…that is a word,right?!) As you suggested, I doubled the recipe out of the gate knowing my family loves to have a stock of frozen cookie dough on hand whenever the craving strikes. As we are vegan, I easily subbed Earth Balance buttery sticks for the butter and Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer for the eggs. I used white whole wheat flour, chopped walnuts, and added some vegan white chocolate chips into the mix, along with the semisweet. Just WOW. I baked the dough from cold as you also suggested and got nice rise on them. From refrigerator cold, they took 11 minutes at 350F. Craggy is such a great word to describe them, by the way. Lots of texture and nuance of flavor. Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. A cookie with sweet, salty, oatey, chocolatey goodness. I often make a more traditional chocolate chip cookie and this is a great alternative to add into the cookie rotation. Thanks, again!

87. Karen Zhea

These look delicious!!! I’ve never had a fail with any of your recipes. Have you ever baked with Einkorn flour? I wonder if it would swap one for one in this cookie? I can’t handle wheat flour, but Einkorn is okay. Thanks!!!

88. Alexis

My kids don’t like walnuts and I didn’t have any wheat germ, so I used almond flour in place of the wheat germ/walnuts and they still turned out great!

89. joan

i made these exactly as written- except i made them small. i don’t like large cookies. i got 25 cookies/batch. they took about 20 minutes to bake, surprisingly long considering what the recipe says. no matter, they are tasty.

90. Kris Brock

Love this cookie recipe. I was wondering about cutting down the amount of sugar. Would the consistency of cookie stay intact?

1. deb

You could cut it down by a couple tablespoons but not much more. I do try to keep the sugar in check to begin with, and any further, the cookie could be dry and hard.

2. Erin

I cut the amount of sugar exactly in half and we loved them – the texture was perfect and with the chocolate chips, the sugar wasn’t missed at all. I’m getting ready to make a second batch for my in-laws today, with raisins instead of chocolate.

91. Isabel Smitn

yum! i am vegan so i made these with vegan butter (miyoko’s) and a flax egg, they turned out very good, I had to bake them about 18 minutes but they were amazing.

92. Annie

I didn’t have any wheat germ, and I’m not a fan of nuts in cookies, so I used the same amount of cocoa nibs to add some extra crunch and I think they may be my new favorite cookie

93. Seriously scrumptious. Just made and ate one warm. The bit of salt is heavenly and I don’t feel as guilty eating with the whole wheat, oats and I substituted Ground Flax seed instead of Wheat Germ. I also didn’t make them as big, used about 2 Tablespoons.

94. Alison

I made these and wanted to half the amount of sugar like another person mentioned doing… I accidentally did more than that, with only adding 1/4 c of brown sugar and a sprinkling of coconut sugar in the batter to replace the raw sugar. Honestly, it didn’t need more sweetness than that in our opinion!

These cookies did NOT spread at all, and I did not chill them in advance. I added both flax and chopped walnuts, which probably contributed to that. I wanted to include flax as I was using only AP flour based on what was on hand. Everything else I kept the same with the slight addition of a little cinnamon and nutmeg. I didn’t think they turned out where we’d make them again… but honestly my family devoured them, so we’ll probably continue to experiment! I think I’d like to try a little nut butter in them as well.

Overall, a fantastic, hearty cookie to have with coffee in the morning :) and make me feel like that’s okay instead of my regular oatmeal.

95. Jenna C

Recipe links going back FOURTEEN YEARS! Thanks for being THE SOURCE for trustworthy recipes. Never made anything from you that didn’t work.

96. Darla Thomas

I was a bit skeptical of the whole wheat flour as my experience has shown this ingredient makes rather bland and dense (not in a good way) cookies. However, this recipe delivered on flavor, crunch and “cragginess” as advertised! Delicious. The only change I might maken next time is to reduce the turbinado sugar down to 3 tablespoons. A little less crunch as a personal preference. Also, I added dried cherries, which I love with chocolate. These were a big hit with my family and voted into our repeat recipe category. Thanks Deb!

97. Elana

I think this is one of Deb’s best recipes ever. In fact, I’m on my second cookie as I type this! They are just the perfect amount of sweet, soft but crispy, thick but not cakey. Based on what I had, I swapped butter out for coconut oil, wheat bran out for flax seed, and used just a little less chocolate. They are divine! I feel like this recipe could be infinitely adaptable.

98. Sarah

Just yesterday I made a similar recipe from Bon Appetit, but it called for more butter and more sugar, which made it an excessively rich and heavy cookie that I didn’t actually enjoy (is it possible to dislike a chocolate cookie? Sadly, yes.) I was going to experiment and lighten it up but you’ve done it, so thanks!

99. Erica

I can’t wait to try these!
    This year I discovered that most baking recipes still taste good if I substitute 1/3 of the flour (by weight) for almond flour. And as a bonus, it adds a bit of protein to the carb goodness.
    I love your technique of adding the baking powder/soda to the wet ingredients, before adding the flour. I do this too! I have turned many recipes into one bowl recipes that way. Who wants to wash an extra bowl? Not me.

100. DV

Yum! Just pulled these out of the oven and ate one hot; delicious! Used flaxseed meal for the wheat germ, quick cooking rolled oats (cause that’s what I have) and just 1/2 c semi sweet chocolate chips. I guess my scoop is tiny in comparison so I got 28 cookies; they were perfectly done at 12 minutes (I like them extra browned on the edges). Wish I had doubled the recipe!

101. Dahlia

These were excellent – I love ww flour in cookies (they’re practically healthy! Almost salad! O wait…) I used a combo of chopped pecans, walnuts, and coconut flakes, and it made for a perfect texture. My new fave cookie.

102. Kathleen Dolan

Among the best chocolate chip cookies ever. And I’ve made them all. The flavor and texture are fabulous and even better if you can refrigerate the dough for at least a few hours. And people who don’t love whole wheat baked goods will not know this is made with whole wheat flour. A must-try!

103. Jess

BEYOND perfect, as written (used walnuts). Every time I read a recipe like this I wonder if I need “another,” but this is spot-on and I doubled it right out of the gate.

104. Patricia Greathouse

This is an excellent recipe; I made as written except for subbing almond flour (or meal) for the flour to make it GF, and making them much smaller (12 to a baking sheet). “Amazing” is what my daughter called them!

105. Sarah M

While I’m a fairly confident cook, baking has never been my forte. But like seemingly everyone else in the world, I’ve found comfort in homemade baked goods these last few months – and this might be my favorite recipe yet! I added walnuts, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and popped them in the freezer for about 30 minutes before baking. The result was a dense, chocolatey, beautifully textured, husband-approved cookie.

106. JP – Seattle

I had to get on the cookie train, as the thick chewy oatmeal cookies have been my go-to, like it has for so many others. I didn’t have wheat germ or bran, so I replaced that dry ingredient with the same amount of shredded coconut and chopped hazelnuts. With mini chocolate chips, I included chopped dried sour cherries. This isn’t as dense as the sister recipe, but I like the salty/sweet grit (grit in a good way!) in every bite. I also like the lack of cinnamon, interestingly. Definitely will make these again.

107. Ben

Should these be lightly pressed after scooping onto pan? They did not spread at all, and mostly kept their mound shape.
    Thank you.

1. Claire

These are just so good. I double batcheD them and had them in freezer. I ground up some hazelnuts from Trader Joe’s for the walnuts. Mine didn’t spread much easily….but they did respond to the now famous slam the cookie sheet method. I have always done that. I kind of like to see the fissures and the molten pools of chocolate when you slam em. I am going to do pecans and coconut and hemp seeds next time. This may be the best cookie recipe ever written. It’s infinitely adaptable and seems less indulgent than your typical cookie with its whole food ingredients….yet really hits the spot. Definitely a keeper! Thanks again, Deb!

108. Olivia

These are now my FAVORITE kind of chocolate chip cookie! The oats, wheat germ and whole wheat flour give them so much delicious body, the turbinado sugar is crunchy, the chocolate chips are ample, and the sea salt makes them so bright. YUM! Much better than the regular Toll House recipe. Thanks Deb!

109. “health halo” – so that’s what I do!! Lol, I do that for the same reason some people work out – so I can eat more :)
    (My secret weapon is whole wheat all-purpose flour which is a blend of hard/soft wheat and is barely noticeable in most baked goods)

110. China

Whole family loved these – they are a great texture for making homemade ice cream sandwiches. Next time I’m going to try adding finely chopped cocoa nibs as another commenter suggested – what a brilliant idea!

111. Kelly Callan

Oh my, I just made these and they are awesome! I made used walnuts and Nestle’s dark chocolate morsels (instead of semi sweet) and this recipe is a total winner. I never bake cookies bec who has the time, but the picture and your description had me printing the recipe and picking up things I don’t keep in my pantry (whole wheat flour, turbinado sugar, oats). I am curious about the flakes of sea salt. I did not know that was a ‘thing,’ but will have to track some down and try some on the other 10 ‘scoops’ of batter that are secure in my freezer. Thank you for a truly wonderful recipe, and for your lovely writing style. It is so enjoyable

112. Allison

These are amazing – my family cannot get enough. I’ve made two batches in the past week and a half because, well, they go that fast. That being said, I do appreciate that the recipe makes 12 cookies. That way I can make cookies whenever I get the urge and not have to worry about 4 dozen cookies hanging out on my counter (which isn’t necessarily bad, but also isn’t good…)

1. deb

I haven’t baked with it a lot but I think it burns at a lower temperature, right? So I’d use it just a little to experiment, just instead of the turbinado.

113. Tamilee

Ammmazing! My daughter wrinkled her nose when I told her the cookies had whole wheat AND wheat germ … but decided that she would try one when I said it was a smitten kitchen recipe. Then she declared them better than regular chocolate chip cookies – and I don’t disagree!
    I doubled the recipe – I used 1/2 whole wheat : 1/2 white whole wheat, 1/2 toasted wheat germ : 1/2 chopped pecans, and 1/2 chocolate chips : 1/2 butterscotch chips. And of course, I sprinkled with Maldon salt flakes!
    I also made the large size cookies (yum!!!) with a size 20 scoop, but made some smaller too – size 40 scoop – so they fit a little easier in lunch containers.
    Deb, you’re right – I may never go back to regular chocolate chip cookies!

1. deb

This recipe is adapted from my go-to Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, which were adapted from the canister of Quaker Oats. I explain the changes in the post:

The thing with calling a recipe “slightly modified” is that basically every recipe for whole wheat oatmeal cookies will have the same ingredients and proportions aren’t going to be wildly different if the goal is a craggy drop cookie. In this case, if we were to halve Heidi’s recipe, the oats, wheat bran or germ, chocolate, and sugar levels are different, and those are not just half the ingredients, but all the core ones.

By this rule, all oat chocolate cookie recipes are adapted from one another and this is … almost certainly true! This is why I like to source recipes here. Every recipe on this site talks about what inspired it, and where it came from, if it’s a specific place or publication. This path to a recipe is what makes the food conversation interesting to me. Personally, I find recipes that don’t talk about where they come from far more suspect.

114. Danita

2nd time to make these. They were very popular on the first go. I am making this batch subbing dark rye flour for half the whole wheat. They taste great. I use oat bran vs wheat germ since I have that on hand. I feel like we are eating a “healthy” cookie, which my husband just laughs at me when I say that then eats another cookie! I use the Trader Joe’s semi sweet chocolate chunks. This week I noticed they had dark chocolate chunks so I used half semi sweet and half dark chocolate. thanks for another winning cookie recipe. Your salted chocolate chunk cookies were always my go to recipe but this is a great alternative to keep in the freezer.

115. Karen

These really are delicious. They remind me of the oatmeal cookie dough I ate as a kid, which I always thought tasted better than the actual cookies. But these taste as good as that now forbidden treat and have a delightful light texture. I made them egg free with a flax egg and they turned out chewy, crunchy, tender: everything a cookie should be.

116. Rachel

I just made these! Using spelt for the flour as I had some. I only had baking powder but it had no impact. The spelt and chopped nuts made these very substantial. Especially since kiddo and I rolled them into 9, not 12, cookies :) We used roughly chopped dark chocolate which I would recommend above chips. These are robust enough to deal with melting pools of chocolate!

117. EllenL

Made these last week and loved them. I took the suggestion of another commenter and used chocolate covered raisins (and a few chips as I didn’t have quite enough). Delicious and a good use for the whole wheat flour in my pantry. I liked that it was a small batch too. Next time I will make smaller cookies as 2-3 smaller cookies is somehow more satisfying than one larger cookie. My son was hankering for a cookie with matcha, so I set aside 3 cookies worth of dough and added some matcha. He thought they were great, until he had the others, which he ultimately preferred. But thought I’d include that in case anyone else was interested. If that’s a flavor you are looking for, then it was good.

118. Sujatha

These are delicious, a great after-school snack/easy to make anytime cookie. I decreased the brown sugar to 1/3 cup brown, used 1/4 c oat bran, and added some unsweetened coconut flakes. They barely spread in the oven, baked for 12 min.

119. These are the best cookies I have ever made! I have been a subscriber to your website for a few years but have never tried any recipes until now – I was blown away!
    I made the chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with the whole wheat flour. I did use coconut sugar instead of the raw…. I am gg to try more recipes now! Glad I kept subscribing.
    You are a very talented chef!

Any recipes with grits? Like a cheese, jalapeño bake?!!!

Thanks, I am smitten with your site!

120. Beth

This recipe is a keeper – delicious!! I’m avoiding gluten and dairy, so I used GF all purpose flour (cup for cup substitute), vegan butter, and finely chopped toasted walnuts, plus GF oats and dairy free chocolate chunks. I baked a few right away and froze the rest of the dough. Next batch I may try pecans instead of the walnuts. Cookies for dinner on Saturday night!!

121. Amy Serpa

These were something special. Made as written with wheat germ, Scharffen Berger chocolate chunks and chilled dough overnight. Toast, wheaty, delicious. Will try with nuts next time. Deb for the win!

122. Sarah

I made these with wheat bran and found them sadly very dry and unappealing in comparison with a standard oatmeal choc chip cookie.

123. Erika

Yum! This was pretty close to my MIL’s recipe, but I’ve always had problems with the cookies flattening in her version. Maybe because hers didn’t have baking powder?

Made it with Demerara instead of turbinado, and used almond meal (but just 1/2 the amount called for) instead of the bran/nuts, bc that’s what I had. I just used a 1 Tbs scoop because I like that size, but then I proceeded to eat 3 of them because they were so good! I’ll pace myself tomorrow.

Also, love your tip about freezing the dough after it’s been scooped! Can’t believe I never thought of that…

124. Kelly

These are super tasty!! I don’t feel guilty eating them!! I made them much smaller, though, using a #50 scoop. Baked for 8 minutes. The changes I made were to reduce the sugar: I used 2 TBS turbinado and 60 g dark brown sugar; used a 72% chocolate bar chopped up, and only used 4 ounces; I used a combo of flax meal/wheat bran/finely chopped toasted pecans. These are DEFINITELY different from the NYT recipe I’ve been making of late, but still, SO GOOD. Much more to my husband’s taste, although he still says they are too sweet. Ugh. I have to eat ALL the cookies in this house, LOL! I am definitely adding this recipe to the CCC rotation!

125. Emma

These were so good! The flavor is exactly what I want from a cookie, and I love that they are whole wheat/grain. I baked them immediately b/c I couldn’t wait and they did spread out a lot, just like Deb said. I like a crispy cookie so I was okay with it! Maybe next time I’ll plan ahead mode and fridge them for a few hours to keep them more heaped.